Tuesday, February 10, 2009

“Education makes machines which act like people and produces people who act like machines.” (Thanks, JAN HEUFER, for the German-English translation!:)
I do agree with Erich Fromm. At once, I recollect those teachers and professors I was unlucky to run across. Remember those monsters which were masterfully portrayed in the Pink Floyd's video "The Wall"?

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! Teacher! Leave us kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.


In a brilliant Russian novel "Fathers and Sons," Ivan Turgenev introduced a marvellous character Yevgeny Bazarov, obviously, representing the nihilitic opposition of the 30s-40s. Bazarov said that first of all we need to clear the place to build anew. I would say it is too 'physical.'

If you want to know --- I can hardly imagine myself burning down the school or university. Yet some education systems provide a plenty of space for abuse - physical and emotional. ("I don't care about the fact you are left-handed --- learn to write with the right hand!") We don't need such education. Teaching is the most irresponsible way for boosting one's self esteem with the help of some mean methods. Have you met such 'practitioners'? :(

While compiling syllabus for my studs --- I just cannot get rid of these thoughts. Indeed, by teaching I will put to test my own personality. I expect something spiritual about the future experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You wanted to say something? I am looking forward to your comment.