Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Hi, I am Postmodernism. I am a Ghost (!)

This post (as many others) are not supposed to be scientific articles. They are written for fun and for the sake of putting down some ideas related to my research interests.

---
Division of the human intellectual heritage into convenient historical "periods" is always a big problem. Ungrateful task, so to speak. If you will, these attempts are conspiracies of the literary and art historians who earn money by publishing articles in obese dusty anthologies(!)

I have learned about postmodernism within the context of literature & art lectures and seminars as a university student. The term itself is applied to the literature, art, philosophy, etc. shortly before, during and after World War II. All the definitions of bla-bla-ISM usually deal with wars. Some would insist on technological inventions (for fighting wars, but not only, of course).

So, how does a common definition of the European postmodernism in most of the dictionaries or anthologies start? Here is the step-by-step scenario:
POSTMODERNISM. Okay, folks, it's difficult. Veeerry difficult. Even for us, the literary and art historians. Remember World War II, nazis and communists? Postmodern art, music and literature HATE those. Postmodern artists, musicians and writers (pre)tend to reject traditional authority, experiment with their body-psyche, (frequently) behave bizarre, preach about eclecticism and multiculturalism, naively think they were the first to start the club of the arrogant cynics, etc. What is special about POSTMODERNISM? Hmm.... We would suggest that postmodernism is an exaggeration of modernism. What is modernism?

MODERNISM. Okay, folks, it's difficult. Veeerry difficult. Even for us, the literary and art historians. Remember World War I...?

Really, one should be very careful with these classifications. Stay sceptical. These amorphous historical classifications should not be taken for granted. Not at all.

In my M.A. thesis I was studying SENTIMENTALISM. I felt like I was studying a ghost (!)

2 comments:

  1. If you are postmodernism and you are a ghost, does that mean postmodernism is dead?!

    Because I think it is. I have a book out next month about postmodernism's successor, called digimodernism, and a blog on the subject. Please don't feel obligated to check them out! But I liked your post. Alan Kirby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan, thanks for the comment!

    The thing is---I don't think Postmodernism was ever "alive". I think, it is another culturally constructed concept. Which will be (or already is?) abandoned.

    I will definately check out your book on digimodernism. It sounds crazy.)) I like your blog very much. If you happen to be in Germany---please, contact me. I know people who might be interested in your research. Unfortunately, they don't blog.

    ReplyDelete

You wanted to say something? I am looking forward to your comment.